Designated as a High Intensity Drug Trafficking Area (HIDTA) by the Office of National Drug Control Policy (ONDCP) in 1994, the PRVI HIDTA was originally assigned as an interdiction HIDTA. It evolved to include significant investigations.
The PRVI HIDTA has also been recognized with the following National HIDTA Awards:
- 1999 Best Investigative Support Center
- 2001 Outstanding Intelligence Analyst
- 2002 Outstanding HIDTA of the Year (STT MOI)
- 2003 Outstanding Money Laundering Investigation
- 2011 Outstanding Prevention Effort (Alianza Para un Puerto Rico Sin Drogas)
- 2012 Award for Excellence (presented to Training Coordinator Sgt. Nelson Rohena)
- 2013 Outstanding Task Force Effort (STT MOI) Corporal Edward M. Toatley Memorial Award
- 2015 Outstanding Cooperative Effort (HSI Money Laundering – Bullfighter)
- 2016 Outstanding Cooperative Effort (CCSF)
- 2017 Outstanding Investigative Effort (STT MOI, USAO-VI)
The mission of the Puerto Rico/US Virgin Islands HIDTA is to reduce violence and crime by targeting, disrupting and/or dismantling drug trafficking and money laundering organizations supported by intelligence driven investigations.